Wednesday 13 April 2016

Coffee Cupcakes & Coffee Buttercream

Yum

Every morning I brew about 6 cups of coffee. I have 2-3 cups of hot coffee as soon as I wake up, and then I usually store the remaining coffee in the fridge. This way when 6 pm comes around and I'm needing my caffeine fix, all I have to do is add ice and milk— BAM! Instant Iced Coffee.

Please tell me you all do this too, because my family thinks I'm crazy for storing old coffee in the fridge.

Anyway, I had plenty of leftover coffee the other day, so I decided to put it to good use and make some very yummy coffee cupcakes. They turned out wonderful.


Coffee Cupcakes & Coffee Buttercream

Makes about 24 cupcakes
Recipe, with a few alterations, by cookienameddesire

Ingredients
For the Cupcakes
3 cups Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Baking Soda
Pinch of Salt
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
2 tablespoons Nescafe
2 cups Sugar
½ cup Vegetable Oil
1 cup Sour Cream
1 cup of Coffee, room temp
2 Eggs, room temp
2 tsp Vanilla

For the Coffee Buttercream
100g Unsalted Butter, softened
200g Icing Sugar
1 tsp Nescafe
1 tbsp Coffee, room temp

Method
1. Preheat your oven to 180C/350F and line your tray with cupcake liners.
2. Sift the flour, leavening agents, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and Nescafe all together in a bowl.
3. In another bowl, first beat the oil and sugar together. Then add the sour cream, coffee, eggs and vanilla, and beat until incorporated.
4. Slowly add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients. Mix with a spatula until everything is combined. Do not overmix! Fill each cupcake mould with batter—about ¾ full.
5. Bake the cupcakes for about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven, and leave to cool on a wire rack.
6. Coffee Buttercream: place the softened butter in a bowl and beat with a mixer. Add the sifted icing sugar and Nescafe, and beat together. Then add the coffee, and mix. If your buttercream is too thick, just add a bit more coffee; similarly, if it is too thin, add more icing sugar, or place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
7. When the cupcakes have cooled use a spatula or a piping bag to cover with buttercream. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment